After the disappointment of defeat in last week's Intercontinental Cup match in Voorburg it was always on the cards that Scotland would come back hard in the first of this week's two World Cricket League Championship matches at the VRA Ground in Amstelveen on Monday.

And so it proved, with the Netherlands reduced to 74 for five by the time the first of several heavy showers drove the players from the field with just 23.3 overs bowled.

Things had at one stage looked even more bleak for the home side, since Roelof van der Merwe and Pieter Seelaar had by this time produced a partial recovery, more than doubling the total after Scotland's seam attacked ripped through the Dutch top order to leave them on 35 for five.

The start had aleady been delayed by an hour after rain overnight and in the early morning, and with an extremely menacing weather forecast it came as no surprise when Preston Mommsen, having won the toss, elected to bowl first.

Both sides fielded reinforcements, with George Munsey and Calum MacLeod having joined the Scottish squad and Michael Leask added to the playing eleven, and Mudassar Bukhari and Max O'Dowd coming in for the Netherlands.

There was immediate success for Josh Davey, the leading Scottish wicket-taker in Voorburg, who uprooted Stef Myburgh's off stump with his fourth delivery, and then had Ben Cooper caught behind off the final ball of his second over.

And two became three when Davey trapped Michael Rippon in front with just 21 runs on the board.

Then Alasdair Evans, who had replaced Safyaan Sharif at Mulder's End, induced Peter Borren to edge a low catch to MacLeod at third slip, and the Netherlands were again in deep trouble with the bat.

All three Scottish seamers were maintaining constant pressure, forcing the batsmen to play and generating sufficient movement to cause serious problems. Nor was there any relief when Richie Berrington came into the attack, for off his very first ball Barresi edged to Cross to give the Scottish keeper his second victim.

Van der Merwe was again looking best able to cope with the conditions, and in Seelaar he found a partner who could give him the necessary support.

With the rain moving ever closer they steadily accumulated 39 runs, but then the rain intervened, and a series of increasingly heavy showers, culminating in a torrential and spectacular thunderstorm, ended proceedings for the day.

The match is scheduled to resume at the same point at 11 o'clock on Tuesday, and if it starts on time there will be no reduction in the overs. From this position the Dutch will be hoping for as many overs as possible to continue their recovery, failing which a complete washout, while Scotland must hope that their excellent start will not prove to be in vain.